Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Torn Spleen


8:00am update from Justine's dad:
     Still in ICU of course. Watching and hoping that the embolism stopped the bleeding spleen and allows it to heal on its own. The family asks that no visitors come to see Eric until further notice. Eric needs time to rest and recover from all of the treatments that he's receiving. Please contact Justine directly to find out when Eric has recovered enough for visits. Thank you for understanding and for all of your love and concern. Eric does read this blog and messages when he feels up to it so be sure to post your encouragement here. :)

1:10am text update from Justine:
     They are going to try the angi embolism. The spleen may heal on its own and stop bleeding...hopefully or if it doesn't they will remove it. This is probably caused by the cancer.

12:30am text update from Justine:
     Doctors just came in to tell us results of scan. The spleen is torn open and bleeding in his abdomen. Likely to have surgery sometime tonight to have it removed and clean things up. I'll bet he has been suffering with pain like what I had when I had the ulcer and hole in my small intestine. No bueno!
     Going to see if embolism is an option. That’s where they launch something in his artery to clog the bleeding. It maybe a better route since he is on chemo. The body should absorb the excess in his abdomen.

10 comments:

  1. Oh no! We are thinking of you constantly. Thank you for taking the time to keep everyone updated, it can't be easy but thee are so many who love you and are concerned about you both and we are grateful to be able to read this blog! We will be sending out many prayers for Eric tonight! Matt and Shala

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam says: Get better so we can play Slamwich when I come visit. (slamwich is a card game). We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update. I have been trying to get a hold of my parents to see how he is doing. How long does it take for a spleen to heal? We are praying and thinking of you all the time. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ernie!!!!! We are all thinking of you, Justine and Tayvia constantly! We are sending our thoughts and prayers your way. We are waiting for the right time to come and visit. Please text us if you need anything, we can come hang out…have Monday morning meeting…Banbury…lunch buddies…whatever you need, we are there! We miss you and can't wait for your recovery. Keep fighting Ernie!!!
    Love, Your Team (M&D)

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. You better win the contest!!! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Jenny, it will probably take some weeks for the spleen to fully heal depending on how severe the damage is. The main thing right now is to stop the spleen from hemorrhaging any more so the blood transfusions can help the blood counts get back to better levels. Also, chemo makes it more difficult to heal which is one reason surgery is avoided if possible. There was no chemo administered yesterday and probably not today either while they work to stabilize Eric's blood count. Baby steps lead to bigger steps! Go Eric!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Justine and Eric,
    My husband had testicular cancer (I know James Schramm). I've been thinking about you every day and pray for you. Like I said in my letter to you, remember he is alive right now and that's something to be grateful for and spend each second living and making plans. I will do anything for you that I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your letter. They have both been very helpful through some hard moments. He is alive! Even if he isn't doing well sometimes and I am scared. He is alive!!

      Delete
  8. Keep fighting!!! Sending my love and prayers!!! Love my fam bam!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking of you Eric and your darling family as well. Nunley's are tough! You are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Abbie

    ReplyDelete