The Monday before entering the hospital was the day of the removal of the first tumor. My heart rate was nearly 150 bpm for most of the day and anethesiologist was nervous to put me under. We ended up doing consious sedation in order to get her done. Overall, it was relatively painless and bought me a few days without pain. On Wednesday, I had extreme interior pain mostly in the lungs that took me to an instacare. After seeing the number of tumors in my lungs, it was no surprise why I had the pain. Later in the day is when we met the Oncologist who was very avid about putting me immediately in the hospital and starting treatment immediately. I was actually excited to go to the hospital.
The first few days in the hospital really weren't too bad. I got visitors, drugs, and chemo which I don't remember reacting much with my body. At that point, I thought this hospital visit would be even easier than expected. Friends and family definitely came through, although at this point I didn't realize just how much it would mean to me. Chemo seemed easier than expected and home was coming Tuesday December 11.
Well Monday I began to feel more discomfort and pain. Figured it was mostly laying in bed and the effects of Chemo. It gradually got worse and I know I began to breakdown mentally. I haven't cried too much in front of Justine, but tears were streaming and she knew I needed her. She quickly made sure I had constant visitation and support from family and friends. By Tuesday things got so painful and uncomfortable that I began to have the negative thoughts to whether this was a battle I wanted to be a part of. They would give me drugs that i swear would work about 2 minutes. I really only remember until about 3 pm on Tuesday before I too sedated to remember. I had some good visitors that day, but I don't think I was a good host to them.
After Tuesday, the next day that I can really remember was Friday mostly in the afternoon. I know Justine and my family really came through on decisions and meeting with doctors for a plan for me. Justine says I don't need to remember those dark days with the torn spleen and such...I am glad I don't either. What I know of those days I basically learned through the blog.
I woke up with a breathing tube down my throat, feeding tube through my nose and cords every which way monitoring my health. I was very confused about what had happened and how long I'd been in the hospital. Communication was a pill and I was always hot. One of the most memorable things will be all the cold wash cloths I demanded on my feet and head. Communicating by pointing to individual letters was also fun. Although all this had happened, I was much more positive and strong mentally at this stage in the hospital.. I think i'll rest now, but next time I'll describe the ICU experience more in depth. P.S the dates and times provided by Justine are more accurate, this is just how I remember things.
No comments:
Post a Comment