The Oncologist we are seeing is Dr. Nitin B. Chandramouli MD at the Cancer Specialists of Utah. We really like him. He was very personable, explained things well, and is going to be very proactive and aggressive with treatment which is what we want and need.
Eric was officially diagnosed with Testicular Cancer today. He has Non-Seminomatous Germ Cell Tumors. (NSGCT) It is Stage III C. Eric is high risk due to how far the cancer has spread. Dr. Chandramouli went over Eric's health history. His vitals were similar to what they have been. Blood pressure 138/86, pulse at 128, and he has now lost 30 lbs. Dr. Chandramouli showed us Eric's CT Scan results which indicate that the cancer has spread quite a bit to many lymph nodes in his abdomen and other organs including spleen, liver, kidneys, lungs etc. Eric needs a MRI of the brain to see if it has gone there as well.
Because Eric is a high risk patient it was highly recommended that he be hospitalized at IMC for a week so that they can do other tests (Brain MRI etc) and monitor him through the first week of the first round of chemotherapy. Sometimes within the first week of treatment the chemo attacks the tumors rapidly which is a good and bad thing. Good that the tumors are gone fast, but bad because it can release too many toxins and electrolytes into the body and are harmful to the body. By staying in the hospital doctors and nurses can monitor all of this, keep Eric hydrated, and keep everything under control. Eric and I believe that he will be more comfortable at the hospital (recovering from surgery at home has not been easy) and he will receive better care.
Eric will receive 4, 3 week cycles of chemotherapy (BEP) which is 12 weeks total. After that he will have tests and scans done to see if the cancer is gone or more extensive treatment is needed. There is a very long list of side effects from doing chemotherapy, but hopefully things wont be too uncomfortable for him, and in the end he will get better.
It was not easy to hear any of this today. Our main goal is to get Eric better and healthy. We have to stay optimistic, hold onto hope, and put our faith in the Lord because we can and will get through this one day at a time.

Justine,
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear about Eric's cancer. What a hard thing for your family to have to go through! I will be praying for all of you. My husband Dave's had had testicular cancer, actually twice, and he's now 78 and has fathered 6 children, so I hope that Eric has the same outcome (not that I'm saying you'll have 6 kids!). Any ways, I appreciated the blog to see the updates on him and will keep you in my prayers.
Ashley Jensen
Wow! What a great example of overcoming this cancer and living a great life. Thank you for sharing and for your support through this.
DeleteJustine. Thanks for updating the blog. I have been wondering all night and morning what the doctors said. You are both in my prayers all day long. Please let me know if you need ANYTHING. I know I'm a little bit farther away but I will come down in a heartbeat! LOVE YOU!!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you rachi. Love you too. Maybe we can get together in January.
DeleteWe love you all so much! We are praying for you. Hope to see you soon. Let us know if you need anything.
ReplyDeleteLove, Scott & Christine
Hi Justine-
ReplyDeleteOur kids are going to be drawing some pictures for Eric today and we'll send them to your email. I was wondering if you'd be up for calls or skype during Eric's hospital stay. My own experience with hospitals is that time goes much faster and I feel better while people are visiting. I spent a lot of alone time at the hospital when Sam and Nathan were born and time sure does drag when no one's there and you don't feel good. Let me know if that would be helpful and if there are certain times of day that will work best. Love you all! Laura Law
Sometimes too many visitors can be overwhelming and he skips naps etc. When things settle down in the next few days let's skype. Loved sams picture btw!
DeleteHey guys. Justine-I don't know if you really remember me, but Eric and I were in the same ward when he was at Santa B with Andrew and James. I just got the news and my prayers are with you all. I also wanted to offer to watch your little one when I can-we live very close to the U and if you are doing treatments in the area we could help out.
ReplyDeleteI do remember you a little bit. We have gone to their Halloween parties together too I think. Thank you so much for the offer. I will add you to the list of people to watch miss Tayvia if/when I need someone.
DeleteThank you for the update Justine. We live behind Eric's parents and although we don't know your family well, we have been thinking about you since we found out about Eric's cancer last week. Our thoughts are prayers go out to you and your family. Please let me know if we can help out with anything. May God bless you and your sweet family.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your sweet message. Your prayers and support mean a lot.
Delete