Welcome back home my love. After 15 days in the hospital I think that he deserves it! I got to the hospital right in time. About ten minutes after I got there the gal from radiation came up to get Eric and wheel him off to radiation. I was able to go with them over to the Huntsman Cancer Center where they do it. It was so fun to walk down the long underground hall way, through a few elevators, then through a building, and finally the Huntsman Cancer Center. I kept thinking any time now they will tell me, "okay, you can wait in here and we will come get you when we are done." But nope! They let me come back, see where Eric lays on a bed under the big machine. They put the special mask on him. We left the room and I got to go into the control room and watch them operate the radiation. After the treatment we talked to Dr. Hunter, the Radiology Oncologist, about how Eric's treatment is going, and to ask any questions that we had before Eric got discharged.
The rest of the morning seemed to drag on forever! We thought he would be coming home today so he was up and ready to go. We talked to the nurse, doctor, and physical therapy. The physical therapist had to make sure Eric had good balance before going home. It was amazing. Everything that he tested Eric on seemed so simple and easy but I guess if you haven't been on your feet in some time the exercises maybe tricky to do or require more concentration like side step, walking backwards, going up and down stairs. The best advice that we got from the physical therapist was to not dwell on what Eric could do a month ago or a year ago (Uncle Rico moments). Know what he is capable of today and and can improve on today, and tomorrow he will be even better! Don't get discouraged, just keep fighting and he will get through it!
After all of those treatments we had to wait for some vaccinations and discharge paperwork, then we were good to go. We waited. and waited. and waited. aaaannnnndddd waited some more. Eric even walked out to the nurses station to see what was up and we waited an hour more. Eric's friend Chris was our lucky charm. When he came up to see Eric, just minutes later the nurse came in with what we needed to finally go home. Yippee!On our way home we stopped by Cold Stone for a treat! When I pulled in the drive way Eric practically jumped out of the car and ran to the front door. Tayvia was asleep so we went next door to Eric's parent's to give Eric a hair cut and a shower. Their main bath has a bench and detachable shower head that made it easier for Eric to shower.
Showering took a lot out of Eric. The rest of the day he mainly just rested in our downstairs watching t.v. and visiting with a few people. Eric's sister Laura made some delicious soup and her mother-in-law made some amazing homemade bread for our dinner. I couldn't believe that Eric ate his whole meal! It may have been because I told him he had to in order to eat a sweet roll that a neighbor brought by. ;)Thank you Heavenly Father for looking out for Eric while he was in the hospital. Thank you for all of your prayers. I know they helped us through those difficult 15 days. We made it through this first round of chemo! With one round down we know that the next 3 rounds of chemo Eric will kick butt!
How wonderful to read your are finally home together as a family again! Please let us know what you need now that Eric is back home. We would love to help. Hope to see you all soon! Matt and Shala
ReplyDeleteNice work buddy! Let us know if you need anything. We want to come over and visit. Planning on some gaming Monday if you're still feeling up to it.
ReplyDeleteEric seems SO excited to be back home! One day at a time buddy to get your strength back. Lots of nutritious foods and plenty of rest!
ReplyDeleteDoes anyone know of a good tasting powered protein shake mix for Eric?
-John
Organic Whole Nectar. Get from Vitamix at Costco or online. Cheaper at Costco than online. Vitamix will be at Costco until Jan. 6th. I used this while training for Ironman to help muscles rebuild. If your heart rate was running at 150bpm you're doing an Ironman!! - Paul Hezseltine
Delete