Friday, June 7, 2013

Sometimes the tears come. And that's ok.

Even though my personality is a very selfless, caring, and a giving one I'm not exempt to the hardship that comes with being a caregiver to someone with cancer. Last week was so overwhelming! I think my breaking point was when we went to the bone marrow appointment. My eyes got a little teary! I think Eric's dads did too.

 The doctor was very nice, explained things well but was also very blunt about Eric. Dr. C has never said anything negative to us about how Eric is doing. Only what the next step for Eric is. So when Dr. Petersen (one of the bone marrow doctors) would say things like: 

*”Chemo won’t cure Eric." We knew that the first regiment that Eric did didn't work but I've never thought about it being a failure because a lot of his tumors did shrink and he did get better to a point. 

*Hearing that if Eric does not do the transplants that he will not survive from his cancer was more than difficult. 

*Being told a low percentage (40%) of this working wasn't totally great. (You can look at the percentage of the transplants working in many ways but at the time with all the emotions going it was hard to swallow.)  

*Hearing that Eric needs two transplants was a bit of a surprise. The description of them is intense. 

*Eric will be very prone to infections, and that Eric's diet will need to change drastically. He can't do yard work and will need to take other precautions around the house as to not come in contact with bad bacteria. 

A couple ups. Tayvia can come visit him while he stays at the hospital. Their is no risk for him to do laundry at home! I can decorate his hospital room in anyway I want (with your help!), we can bring his play station, he can do a little work from his lap top, we can "sit in the hospital bed together" as Dr. Petersen kept hinting LOL.

Even though this journey is a difficult one. In my heart I'm somehow comforted that Eric will be ok. He will beat this. I just need to remember to stay strong and positive and not let bad thoughts even enter my mind. Even though this burden seems heavy we will try to make the best of this. The main ways that help me stay sane lately are going to the temple a few weeks ago, your prayers, and a little help from my amazing masseuse!

At the temple a few weeks ago!

2 comments:

  1. So when you say he will be prone to infections and he can't do yard work does that just mean like this year while all of this stuff is going on or will that be a thing that has to continue after all his treatments and recovery? I can do yard work. I have only mowed a lawn one time but it worked out okay and I'm sure I'd improve with practice! I will probably be doing some at my parents anyway;). I am glad that he can have visitors and such and we are glad to be coming back. I will help out however I can. Also, how long does his diet need to change drastically? Love you guys and stay strong...that doesn't mean you can't cry though! Just be positive and do what the doctors say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just want you to know we think of and pray for you all many times each day. If you need an extra pair of hands to help with yard and house maintenance, I can come up with the kids. Just tell us and we can be there in a few days.
    How does your diet need to change? I'd be happy to help experiment with recipes and meal planning. I know how hard it is to have to drastically change how you eat when you don't feel well. It's a lot easier when you feel good.
    I've been having 'green' smoothies for breakfast lately. My basic pattern is 1 cup juice, 1 banana, 1 cup frozen berries, and 2 big handfuls of greens. My favorite combo is apple juice, mixed blue/black/raspberries, and spinach. Can you eat that kind of food?

    ReplyDelete