I emailed this reply.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to sit down and reflect on this question. There are so many things that I could say. Funny enough I have not once been swallowed up in self pity since Eric got sick. I haven't gotten angry at God. I haven't questioned His divine love for us. He knows us better than we know our selves. Therefore we can do all things through Him.
Now that does not mean that some days aren't really hard. That does not mean that some days it doesn't seem fair that Eric is fighting for his life.
Looking on the positive side of things, remembering the 'big picture' or the plan of salvation, being willing to grow through this trial, and trusting in the Lord through all things are the ways that I'm able to get through this. I know that I'm not perfect but by trying my best I will be blessed through this. It hasn't hurt to have an amazing husband who has been so strong through this!
Walking to church.
Eric's sister sent me a great article last week:
I read an article in the July Ensign today that I thought was very good. It is "A Time for Faith Not Fear" by Larry W. Gibbons. I recommend reading the whole thing, but it's not online yet so here are a few snippets.
Most of us naturally long for security and clarity in life, but there must be some uncertainty to allow us to use our agency and grow. There is no freedom without agency, and there is no true agency without some risk. Therefore, there is no true freedom without some risk, some uncertainty.
"Lift up thine eyes" (Isaiah 60:4)
When your difficulties seem overwhelming, look up, not down. When sadness and despair start to get a foothold, remember this; the Atonement of Jesus Christ did more than overcome physical and spiritual death. Yes, we will all be resurrected, and all of us have the opportunity to be forgiven of our sins as we repent and exercise faith in Jesus Christ. But as wonderful as the gifts of resurrection and repentance are, the Atonement is much more. Through the Atonement we can receive strength to meet the most difficult trials of life.
When we look up to the Savior, we can be strengthened beyond our own abilities and beyond what we can envision with our mortal understanding. The Psalmist said it this way:
"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
"My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth" (Psalm 121:1-2).
When the days seem dark and foreboding, "lift up thine eyes".
....
....
"You are not alone"
I have found that usually when we face our most difficult tests, the Lord is there ahead of us to prepare the way through them.
My wife and I were a bit anxious about going to Russia when called to serve there in 2006. We had never been to Russia and did not know a lot about it. The responsibilities of the call seemed challenging, to say the least. In a meeting in his office, President Packer gave us wonderful counsel: "Remember, the Lord will have been there before you." He then reminded us of the Lord's promise, "For I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your ears, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up"(D&C 84:88).
Speaking of angels, I treasure the words of Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles: "I testify of angels, both the heavenly and the mortal kind. In doing so I am testifying that God never leaves us alone, never leaves us unaided in the challenges that we face. 'Nor will he, so long as time shall last, or the earth shall stand, or there shall be one man [or woman or child] upon the face thereof to be saved.' [Moroni 7:36].


I really like that last quote! I'm sure we have no idea how many angels are in our midst. :)
ReplyDelete